Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl 10k

As most folks feasted on Buffalo Wings, Dorito's and knocked back beers today, I completed a 10k run. The local YMCA puts on a series of "Resolution Runs." The first Sunday is earmarked for racing ever increasing distances. We had 5k (3.1mi) in January, the 10k (6.2mi) for February and 2 more scheduled after this 15k (9.3mi) for March and 20k (12.4mi) in April. The fun thing is it's more of an organized training run than a race, with most folks looking to complete spring half marathons and full marathons. The weather was perfect for a run, but geez! Must I live in the worlds hilliest town?! Despite my quads screaming on the downhills and burning on the inclines, I was able to beat my goal time by over a minute!

Some of you know that I've recently switched to minimal running shoes, the Nike Eclipse. Actually, they are supposed to be casual shoes... Hey! They were the only thing that I could find with a super thin sole and low heel lift. My legs feel MUCH better than after any of my runs in my Saucony Hurricanes or other over-engineered running shoes/pillows. Blech! 

After I updated my Facebook peeps (or let them know I lived through the run) a friend of mine commented to me about my consistency in meeting my goals. What a compliment! I've never really been consistent in anything in life (unless it's my constant tardiness or procrastination). It made me think about how I got to where I am, from where I was several months ago. As I referenced in my first post, do the right thing most of the time and it gets easier and easier. A lot of folks have trouble sticking to a new fitness plan because they aren't at 100% with their diet, water, workouts, etc. That doesn't mean it's time to throw in the towel. 

Make the right choice most of the time and you'll find your body naturally craves 100%, whether it be natural foods, water or looking forward to setting out on your run or hitting the weights. Right now, I crave veggies and a lot of fruits and lean meats, because that's what fuels my body best. The last 15 minutes of my workday are garbage because I train after work. All I'm thinking about is my workout, where I'm running to and how fast I can change my clothes and GO!! Make the right choice most of the time and you'll find your body will build the habit itself.

Stay tuned for my post in the next couple days on why chicks need to hit the weight room!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com