Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting to the Start Line

Boy, I don't know how these people in the blog-o-sphere do it! Sure, I've never had a problem finding something to say, it's just finding the dang time to do it! I need more uninterrupted writing time at work, that's all there is to it. 

To bring you up to date on the happenings in my weight loss world, I am happy to share that the tendinitis issues seems to be gone. Cross your fingers that on my 11 mile training run on Saturday, it doesn't pop back up. I'm still down 30lbs, but really happy with the leanness of my legs from running and actually find that in photos my weight loss in noticeable.

From now through the end of May, I'm still focusing mainly on my running and building base for the half marathon in late June. By April I will have ran more than 13.1 miles, so I'll have a rough idea of what I'll do for the half. 

I'm officially signed up for the Danskin Women's Triathlon in August. I'm very much looking forward to training with about 100 other crazy women throughout this summer. And, I received an email from a friend about a half marathon in September, that I may do a couple weeks after a local tri. Tired, yet? 

Looking forward to these races... Can I just say that I've just now become comfortable with calling them that? Because I'm certainly not in the running for any awards. Anyhoo, looking forward to these races, it's hard not to think about what your time will be and have a goal. When you register for half marathons, they make you estimate your finishing time. Shoot! I have no idea. It'll be real slow now, but 6 months (and hopefully 30lbs) later, it should be faster... Aren't I supposed to be running this for myself?! And not some time?! 

I let myself get a little worked up about times and hitting time goals. Then I spoke with a good friend of mine, Katie Savage, an accomplished cyclist, triathlete and personal trainer. She gave me some great advice. So great in fact, that I don't time anymore of my training runs. "First year," she said, "focus on getting the training done and getting to the start line. The second year, it will get easier and the third year, the speed will come."


So, with that said, I'm focusing on building the base and letting the speed show up later. I'm going to ride my bike to and from work tomorrow, wish me luck!

 

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com